- 1 Medium Head of Cabbage
- 1-3 Tbsp. sea salt
- Chop or shred cabbage. Sprinkle with salt.
- Knead the cabbage with clean hands, or pound with a potato masher for about 10 minutes, until there is enough liquid to cover the cabbage.
- Stuff the cabbage into a jar, pressing the cabbage underneath the liquid. If necessary, add a bit of water to completely cover cabbage.
- Cover the jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter/ cheese cloth secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature for at least 2 weeks until desired flavor and texture are achieved. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once the sauerkraut has the desired taste, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The sauerkraut's flavor will continue to develop as it ages.
For a more complex flavor add caraway seeds (to taste).
Prior to culturing, you can also mix 1 part other vegetables or ingredients (shredded carrots, apples, etc.) with 5 parts cabbage to vary the recipe.
Let us know how you go!